Angelwalk Theatre is a not-for-profit professional theatre company dedicated to producing ‘off-Broadway’ musical theatre and providing opportunities for both emerging and established Canadian theatre professionals. Founded in 2009, Angelwalk Theatre has quickly established itself as a leader in producing ‘off-Broadway’ musical theatre in Toronto and has been nominated for 11 Dora Mavor Moore Awards. A proud member of the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts (TAPA), Angelwalk Theatre presents two shows annually as a resident company in the Studio Theatre at the Toronto Centre for the Arts.
In its brief history, Angelwalk Theatre has produced 6 ‘off-Broadway’ musicals: the Toronto premiere of Altar Boyz (September 23, 2009 until October 11, 2009; extended until October 18, 2009 due to popular demand; remounted in Petrolia, Ontario from June 30 until July 10, 2010); The Last Five Years (May 7-23, 2010); the Toronto premiere of [title of show] (September 22, 2010 until October 9, 2010); Songs for a New World (March 30, 2011 until April 23, 2011); the world premiere of Off-Broadway On Stage (December 7-11, 2011); and the Canadian premiere of I Love You Because (March 28, 2012 until April 15, 2012).
Angelwalk Theatre productions have been well received by both audiences and critics:
- Dora Award Nominations:
- Altar Boyz – 3 nominations, including Outstanding Production of a Musical.
- [title of show] – 5 nominations, including Outstanding Production of a Musical.
- Off-Broadway On Stage – nominated for Outstanding New Musical/Opera.
- I Love You Because – 2 nominations, including Outstanding Production of a Musical.
- Altar Boyz – 3.5/4 stars (Toronto Star), 4/5 Ns (NOW), 4/5 stars (Eye Weekly)
- [title of show] – 3/4 stars (Toronto Star), 4/5 Ns (NOW), 4/5 stars (Theatromania)
- Songs for a New World – 4/5 Ns (NOW), 4.5/5 stars (Tapeworthy)
- I Love You Because – 4/5 Ns (NOW), 4/4 stars (The Art Scene)
“Kudos to Angelwalk Theatre, who mounted the terrific Altar Boyz last season and seem committed
Angelwalk Theatre distinguishes itself in the Toronto musical theatre scene by being producers rather than presenters, focusing on quality mid-sized musical theatre and working towards developing an ‘off-Broadway’ community in Toronto. The company prides itself on providing employment to Canadian artists at all levels – performers, directors, designers, technicians and production staff.
to bringing fresh, intelligent mid-sized musicals to the city.”
-Glenn Sumi, NOW Magazine